Karnak #229AR-Elastomeric is a single component, rubber reinforced asphalt which forms a highly elastomeric waterproof coating. The dried film cures to a tough flexible finish and will resist variations in temperature and weather. Karnak #229 AR-Elastomeric has excellent resistance to acids, alkalies and salts in the soil and will not deteriorate.
Karnak #229 AR-elastomeric is available in brush/spray and trowel grades. Karnak #229AR-Elastomeric is used as a waterproofing coating on primed exterior above or below grade surfaces such as masonry, metal, wood, stone, brick and concrete. Karnak #229 AR Elastomeric can also be used as a vapor barrier when applied to interior above grade surfaces.
- Easy to apply.
- Tough, flexible, elastic, rubber-like film.
- Excellent adhesion to most surfaces including primed concrete, masonry, metal and sprayed urethane foam. Weathered asphalt may not need priming.
- Excellent water and water vapor resistance.
- Excellent weather resistance.
- One year shelf life.
- One component, needs no intermixing.
- Good resistance to salts and alkalies.
- Compatible with many highway and bridge specifications.
- ASTM D-4586 Type I
- ASTM D-4479 Type I
Surfaces must be clean, dry and free from oil, grease, release agents, laitance, dirt, dust and debris. All cracks and holes should be filled with Karnak #229AF AR-Elastomeric trowel grade prior to surface coating. If the surface is extremely porous and/or dirty, Karnak #108AF Asphalt Primer may be utilized to provide a firm film base prior to the waterproofing application.
Karnak #229 AR-Elastomeric should be mechanically mixed thoroughly, prior to application. Karnak #229 AR-Elastomeric, brush grade should not be applied to vertical surfaces.
BRUSH APPLICATION: Apply Karnak #229 AR-Elastomeric brush grade to horizontal surfaces using a wide, fibered roof brush at the rate of 2 to 4 gallons per 100 sq. ft..
TROWEL APPLICATION: Karnak #229 AR-Elastomeric trowel grade may be applied to either vertical or horizontal surfaces using a smooth edge trowel. Coverage amount will vary depending on desired thickness. To achieve a 1/16" thickness apply at the rate of 4 gallons per 100 sq. ft.; 1/8" apply at the rate of 8 gallons per 100 sq. ft.; 1/4" thickness apply at the rate of 15 gallons per 100 sq. ft.
CARE OF TOOLS
Tools and other equipment should be thoroughly cleaned with mineral spirits, taking necessary precautions when handling combustible material.
- Hardness, Shore A: 55 ASTM D-2240
- Elongation - Brush: 700% ASTM D-412
- Elongation - Trowel: 500% ASTM D-412
- Tensile Strength, PSI: 400 ASTM D-412
- Moisture Vapor: 0.03 ASTM D-1653
- Water Vapor Permeance: 0.017 perm ASTM E-96
- Transmission: ASTM D-6171
- Water Absorption: 0.07
- Weight per Gallon: 8.60 lbs.
- Solids: Caulk 68%
- Solids:Trowel 65%
- Solids:Brush 60%
- Solids:Spray 50%
Do not use near open flame. Avoid breathing solvent fumes and prolonged contact with skin. Do not take internally. If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Call a physician immediately. Keep out of reach of children. Keep container covered when not in use. Do not thin. Dispose of in an environmentally safe manner.
Available in 5 gallon pails and 55 gallon drums.