220AF Fibered Emulsion Dampproofing
Karnak #220AF Fibered Emulsion Dampproofing is a general purpose coating, manufactured with refined asphalt, clay emulsifiers, and selected non- fibers. The dried film cures to a tough, flexible, durable finish and will resist variations in temperature and weather. Karnak #220AF Fibered Emulsion Dampproofing will not burn or support combustion in a liquid state. It has no odor or fumes, and resists the absorption of exterior moisture. Karnak #220AF Fibered Emulsion Dampproofing may be applied to slightly damp surfaces.
Karnak #220AF Fibered Emulsion Dampproofing is a vapor retarder used as a protective coating against dampness on the exterior face of interior walls in cavity wall construction and exterior surfaces of concrete, metal and wood above or below grade. It may also be applied to interior surfaces in the absence of hydrostatic pressure. The emulsion may be utilized as an adhesive for polystyrene insulation prior to backfilling.
- ASTM D-1227 Type II, Class 1 (Non-)
- ASTM D-1187 Type I and Type II SS-R-1781 (except Non-)
- MIL-R 3472A (except Non-)
Surface should be free of oil, grease, dirt, laitance and loose material. Dry surfaces may be dampened with water before application. Repair all cracks and holes with Karnak #220AF Fibered Emulsion Damp-ing and Karnak #31 Fiberglass Membrane or Karnak #34 Asphalt Saturated Cotton Fabric, before applying the surface coating.
Karnak #220AF Fibered Emulsion Dampproofing is easily applied by brush, roller or spray equipment. Apply Karnak #220AF Fibered Emulsion Dampproofing in one coat. If applying two coats, allow the first coat to dry. Coating should be continuous and free of pinholes and holidays. Cover all slots, joints and grooves and apply into all chases and corners.
- Above-grade dampproofing (interior and exterior): Apply one coat of Karnak #100 Non-Fibered Emulsion Dampproofing at a rate of 2 to 3 gallons per 100 sq. ft. If applying two coats, each coat should be 2 to 3 gallons per 100 sq. ft. (First coat must be allowed to dry prior to the application of the second coat).
- Below-grade dampproofing (interior, exterior and cavity walls): Apply one coat of Karnak #100 Non-Fibered Emulsion Dampproofing at a rate of 2 to 3 gallons per 100 sq. ft. If applying two coats, each coat should be 2 to 3 gallons per 100 sq. ft. (First coat must be allowed to dry prior to the application of the second coat.)
- Fabric re-enforced dampproofing: Apply one coat of Karnak #100 Non-Fibered Emulsion Dampproofing at a rate of 2 to 3 gallons per 100 sq.ft. Apply Karnak #31 Fiber Glass Membrane or Karnak #34 Asphalt Saturated Cotton Fabric over the wet coating, overlapping all edges. Smooth out all wrinkles, making sure there is no trapped air underneath the fabric. Proceed with second coat at a rate of 2 to 3 gallons per 100 sq. ft.
- Polystyrene insulation adhesive: Karnak #100 Non-Fibered Emulsion Dampproofing is a water-based asphalt emulsion that is 100% compatible with polystyrene insulation or protection board. As an adhesive, Karnak #100 Non-Fibered Emulsion Dampproofing should be applied in 4" diameter dabs directly to the insulation and immediately pressed into place.
Note: When more than two courses are required, wall ties may be necessary. Allow the film to cure for a minimum of 24 to 48 hours prior to backfilling.Care should be taken during backfilling not to puncture or damage the coating. A protection board is highly recommended and backfilling should take place within 7 days.
Apply at 4 to 6 gallons per 100 square feet. Spray application should be at the same rate.
- Weight per Gallon: 9.2
- Solids by Weight: (52%-54%) Nominal
- Solids by Volume: (49%-51%) Nominal
- Color: Black
- Permeance: 0.5 meter perms
- Cure Time: 24 to 48 hours @ 77° and 50% Relative Humidity
- Service Temp.(Cured Film): O°F to 180°F
CARE OF TOOLS
Tools and other equipment should be cleaned with soapy cool water immediately after use. Dried coating may be cleaned with mineral spirits. Take necessary precautions when handling combustible material.
Do not apply when rain is imminent. Protect from freezing. Coating must be dried before exposure to water. Store in a heated room and keep container covered when not in use. Do not thin. Avoid prolonged contact with skin. Dispose of in an environmentally safe manner.
Available in 5 gallon pails and 55 gallon drums.